If you are a current parent or guardian and are interested in serving on our Board of Directors, please see the following documents for information:
The Fort Collins Montessori School Board of Directors is seeking a Parent Member beginning August 1, 2016, to fulfill the position of Board President.
Responsibilities of the President include:
- Preside over Board meeting.
- Ensure high functioning of the Board.
- Ensure the board is conducting the essential business of the school in a timeline manner.
- Ensure that decisions made and work assigned at the Board meeting is carried forward.
- Work with the Head of School and other Board members to determine agenda items and prioritize decision-making for monthly meetings.
- Maintain good relationships with other board members, staff, and parents.
Necessary Qualities of the President include:
- A sincere adherence to the FCMS values, mission, and vision.
- Lead the Board in making good decisions in a timely manner. Ability to make difficult decisions on a timeline is especially critical.
- These decisions must be made in a manner that maintains relationships, especially with other Board members and the head of school, even in situations where the decision goes against the wishes of one or more person. Also, the Board president needs to be comfortable knowing that there will always be some people unhappy with his/her leadership.
- The Board president needs to be a good listener, must try to build consensus, and must be decisive.
- Time required for this position is approximately 20-40 hours per month, including regular meetings, special meetings, trainings, one-on-one meetings, preparing materials, etc.
- This workload is eased if the Board president can also delegate, i.e., share the work with the other board members.
Board terms for parent members are three years, with an option to renew your seat for another term.
If you are interested in this position, please complete the application and provide a letter of interest to the Parent Council: [email protected]
If you have questions about the role of the Board President, please contact John Sanderson: [email protected]