The FCMS Facilities Committee is an ad hoc committee whose purpose is to secure a long‐term facility for FCMS. The Committee is also charged with ensuring FMCS has short‐term facilities for our students until a long‐term facility is secured.
Roles and Responsibilities
To fulﬁll its purpose, the Facilities Committee will:
- Project enrollment and space needs.
- Secure lease and/or property.
- Work with the Owner Representative to design facilities to meet programmatic needs.
- Project costs of securing short‐ and long‐term facilities.
- Provide oversight in hiring of contractors for renovation.
- Invite the FCMS community into critical design phases for the long‐term facility.
- Communicate regularly with the FCMS community—especially staﬀ and parents—so they remain informed of actions and decisions by the Committee.
The Facilities Committee meets every two weeks and reports to the Board monthly.
The Committee will designate a member to ensure an agenda is prepared prior to each meeting, and that meeting highlights, decisions, and action items are disseminated after the meeting.
The Committee will be deliberate about decision making in three ways:
- For major decisions, e.g., ultimate location, ﬁnal approval of building decision, policy, the Committee will make recommendations to the Board.
- Deciding to make recommendations to the Board or other non‐Board level decisions by the Committee will be made by consensus where possible. If consensus cannot be reached in a timely way, the decision will be referred to the Board or will be made by the Committee chair.
- The Committee chair—working with our Owner Representative—will at times need to make urgent decisions between Committee meetings, and such decisions will be communicated to the full Committee at the next meeting, and as possible via e‐mail at time of the decision. Long‐term and/or strategic decisions that do not have sense of urgency will be discussed with the Committee prior to taking.
The members of the Facilities Committee aspire to support all decisions, even when they disagreed with the decision made via the process outlined above. If a Committee member has major disagreements with a decision, he/she is expected to bring that disagreement to the Committee chair so that it can be discussed directly and hopefully resolved to everyone’s satisfaction.
Relationship/Communication with Board, Staff, Other Committees and Parents
The Committee will:
- Communicate regularly with the Head of School to ensure he is fully aware of actions, proposals, and decisions of the Committee.
- Provide a written and/or verbal report to the Board monthly.
- Work closely with the FCMS organization in pursuing donations, major philanthropic gifts and philanthropic loans (i.e., Program Related Investments).
- Report at least quarterly to the full FCMS stakeholder community through emails and/or Town Hall.
- Involve parents and staff in the design of the eventual building and the site layout.